Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Office cricket match :)

It is a Saturday but my company made it a working day to compensate for the extra day of holiday on the 26th of December.
The last week was a hectic one with a client visit..getting up early and rushing to the office!
The entire week I found myself bereft of sleep. I promised myself a good sleep on Saturday but :( what with it being declared a working day, I had no choice!
Heck! I got up earlier than usual as my office team decided to play a match against our client team ...they called it a friendly match:)

The match was set to be played at the Habsiguda ground.
I was delighted at this news, as, for the first time after I joined the current team, I didn't have far to travel.Less than 10 mins of travel took me to the ground.
Saw the men getting all so serious over the silly ball and bat game.
The match was set to start at 9:30...but it started at 10 15 am.
The match was a 20-over match and this was played in all seriousness.
Where you have the professional cricketers taking breaks after every hour or two, our pros had their breaks every 20 minutes..come back to the 'pavilion' sweating and thirsting for the soft drinks/ water..stuff themselves with food and run back to the ground.
We, the audience, were equally stuffing ourselves with food and more food from the time that we set foot on the cricket ground. It was a round of idlis, followed by hot samosas, then cream biscuits, salted ones, soft drinks, fruit juices...!
By the time the audience and the players could catch glimpses of the game, the match was over!
We hung our heads, what with a 8-run defeat.One of the junior team members sat quite heart-broken. I was quite amused to see him take the game so much to heart.
We five women team members hadn't much to do except appear joyous or dejected at appropriate times. The opposite team members were courteous enough to acknowledge our presence though. :)
By around 1 pm, we were all heaving from all the heavy stuff lying dormant in our tummies, when we were told that it was now the turn of binging on our famous Vegetable Biryani! Oh no! Not food AGAIN!
But in keeping with the team spirit , I had to keep up with the pretense of eating.
Done, I returned home and hit the sack to doze straight for 3 hours!

0 comments: